Tattoos are no longer considered permanent and irreversible designs or marks on the skin. Dermatologic surgeons can safely and effectively use different techniques to successfully remove unwanted tattoos.
Why remove a tattoo?
People seek removal of Tattoos for different reasons
- Allergic reactions
- Regrets about the decision – change of girlfriend/boyfriend, marriage
- Seeking or obtaining new employment
- Replacing one tattoo with another
Different options include surgery, Lasers and older techniques such as dermabrasion.
Q Nd yag laser is considered as the safest and most effective method now.
How many sessions are needed?
Between 3-6 depending on colour, depth etc
Are there Side effects?
Usually no; there may be mild redness and burning which are treated easily
What is the interval between the sessions?
Between 6-8 weeks
What is R20 method?
If the patient can not come to clinic repeatedly, this method can be used, where in 4 treatments are given at 20 minute intervals.However, there may be more redness and irritation.
What is the cost of the treatment?
The laser machine costs around 30 lakhs and hence tattoo removal can be expensive. It varies from around 1000 Rs per session for small tattoos to around 5000Rs per session for larger tattoos.
What you need to know
- Professionally applied tattoos tend to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin.
- Professional tattoos made with some of the newer inks and pastel colors may be difficult to remove entirely.
- Red, yellow Deeper blue and black ink colors are particularly challenging.
- Newer tattoos often tend to be more difficult to remove than older ones.
- Complete tattoo removal is not always possible.
- Some level of scarring or skin color variation is a strong possibility.
- Tattoo removal is always done on an outpatient basis.